Monday, April 28, 2008

Final Blog Entry for IT100: Course Review

I will be honest, at first I wondered why I needed IT100. I thought it was pointless because as I was already on the computer for pretty much everything, what else did I need to know? Well, I was proven wrong once the semester began. Though I thought the hybrid course required a bit too much out of class work, I learned a lot about Office 2007. This course was a blessing in disguise because before this semester I was writing papers that had extra space in them because I didn't understand how to remove them and I was using tab all the time for indents. Little things that I was able to pick up in Word, relearning how to use Powerpoint, and learning Access for the first time were all reasons that I feel this class really benefitted me. I enjoyed all of the different ways that this material was presented to us between the various websites, podcasts, and powerpoint presentations, because it made it more bearable.

To be honest, I think we could have done without the Security topic. Most of that information was information that I felt I relady knew for the most part, with a few exceptions such as phishing. Security is a pretty bland subject and I feel as though I didn't pick up much from it anyway. As far as topics that should be included, I do not think I would have been able to take one more thing packed into IT100 as too much is covered already.

I absoloutly think that all students should be required to take IT100. There is a lot of valuable information that I feel can be picked up from it, even if one thinks they already have all the knowledge that they need in all of the Office products. If they think they know everything, they are most likely wrong.

I would really like to start the IT minor next year but none of the classes fit into my schedule. I am going to have to wait until possibly taking a couple summer courses after next summer - hopefully by then I will be able to get it completed in time!

No comments: