Sunday, April 6, 2008

Anti-Phishing Campaign

I thought it was interesting that CMU came up with a great way in order to raise awareness of phishing. People usually don't care to simply read something, and computer security is generally a dry subject for most which also doesn't help. However, this game can teach people what they need to know about malicious activity on the internet and they don't have to be bored while doing it. I found the whole idea of it pretty interesting as I was reading it.

As I was playing the game, I didn't expect to learn too much from it because I have acquired a good amount of information about malicious activity on the internet just from using it over the years. Contrary to my initial belief, I did end up learning a lot. I was not aware that phishing occurs all the time, and usually the act is slyly covered up by the phisher. I liked the idea of the "dad" teaching the player about all of the ways people can phish for other's information via the internet. Overall, I think this is a very informative and fun way to educate people about this act.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just googled and played the game myself. Thanks for the tip. I may write an article on it later on. If you are interested in online security, you might want to take a look at a related blogpost I wrote:

http://passpack.wordpress.com/2008/03/26/who-would-want-my-password/

Keep up the good work in spreading the word on phishing!

Louise

Bill said...

Glad you found some educational value out of it. All of these blogs are actually assignments for my Information Technology class.